2009/07/27

A Paper Factory

Today, we went to a traditional paper-making factory. When we walked into the place, we were struck by the quaintness of the place; it looked like an out-of-the-way attraction that only locals knew about. I wasn’t paying attention on the bus before we arrived, so I was really confused by all the machinery and presses and everything. It wasn’t until the tour guide arrived that I understood what was going on; she explained all of the steps in the process of making paper from watery pulp. Giant presses squeezed the water out and prepared the paper to dry.

After that, we attempted to make paper art. All we had to do was make handprints in pulp and then decorate it with leftover bits of pulp. I worked with Ten, and I think it turned out pretty well. Unfortunately, I think I might have lost it.

Next, we attempted to make paper fans. We took paper and put powdered ink on them with stencils to make different designs. On a related note, I found out today that I am very, very bad at arts and crafts. I “lost” my fan soon after I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment