2009/07/25

Before Kevin's Pig Episode...

While one of today's highlights would undoubtedly include Kevin being molested by that pig at the Malasun Winery, another part of the day included playing a game in the morning. In this game, each group was randomly given specific landmarks to visit all over Tainan (or rather, at least in my group's case, all within a 10 minute walk from the La Plaza hotel).

Our first task was to find a specific eatery that offered a dish similar to the rice dumplings we wrapped. We ordered a couple of dumplings and I found the one with meat to be quite tasty, especially since I hadn't had any breakfast at the hotel.

Our next stop was a temple, which we found with help from a nice old lady on a handicapped motorized vehicle who actually led us there, with our group hurrying behind to keep up. We learned about the history of the temple and the story of the man who cut open his midsection to repent for his sins of killing living things and how his guts spilled out and became a turtle and serpent to represent the evils he commited and how he himself became a god. I thought it was pretty nice of the man to spend so much time teaching us about the temple and even though the temple was over 300 years old, it was still quite beautiful.

I don't remember much about the last two stops we made as we were running out of time and it was already really humid and sticky. We first went to a tofu dessert shop where I found the tofu to be soft and tasty (it was a chocolate-flavoured tofu). The last place was another small eatery place where we ordered a dish where corn chowder was placed in a scooped out piece of thick toast. I didn't try any of that as I was already quite full from the rice dumplings earlier and according to what my groupmates said, I didn't seem to have missed out on much.

All in all, I think we had a fairly eventful morning where we got to experience a variety of Tainan food and met some really nice people who helped us find our landmarks. I wonder if it's because the people of Tainan are especially nice or if we were just lucky enough to have approached nice people. Either way, I think Tainan would be a place I would like to visit again the next time I come back to Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment